Covid-19 – Provision of Essential Services
Guidance for Employees and Employers
28 March 2020
The Government has decided that people everybody should stay at home until April 12th 2020, except for the following situations:
- to travel to and from work, or for purposes of work, only where the work is an essential health, social care or other essential service and cannot be done from home
- to shop for essential food, beverage and household goods or collect a meal
- to attend medical appointments and collect medicines and other health products
- for vital family reasons, such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people
- to take brief individual physical exercise within 2km of your home, which may include children from your household, as long as you adhere to strict 2m physical distancing
- for farming purposes, ie food production and/or care of animals
As stated in previous guidance, all employees should work from home if at all possible.
The purpose of this document is to provide guidance to employers and employees as to what constitutes an essential service where workers cannot work from home and have no option but to travel to work.